Jun 22, 2011

Sketchup Components for Minecraft Models!

So one of the more important parts of designing anything is having a viable way to do it and easily make changes. With that in mind, I've created a Sketchup component - uploaded to the 3d warehouse. It's using my textures  because I'll be using it too and don't like the default. You'll need an understanding of Sketchup, which is pretty easy to obtain. I'll be posting some tutorials specific to this application, but for now, those should tide you over. Download!

An example of what you can do with Sketchup and
 the components I've created. 
If you have sketchup and are already in it, search for "Me2005" on the component browser. It'll download the component into your already existig model. Then you'll need to explode the component (Google Groups it on upload) before using the blocks. The model is set up to use meters as units, but if you aren't using them in your model, go to window/model properties/units and change it there.

To move/manipulate the blocks, the easiest way is the move tool. If you use this tool and press the "ctrl" key, it'll move-copy instead of just moving the block (It'll put a little "+" sign next to your cursor so you know). If you're making an array, copying the block and then typing "X" and any number will multiply your block that many times at that distance.

Like I said, I'll go into more detail on all that later, and there are tutorials available. For now though, one excellent example of what can be done with the file is my Warcraft 2 Scout Tower - which was designed in Sketchup.

Update 7/11! I've added Pistons as a separate download. They use the stock textures, since I haven't updated my texture pack to include them yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment