Jun 14, 2011

Tutorial: How to build a Warcraft 2-style Tower

I promised last week I'd have plans, and I've got the first part of them ready. I'll post with more plans later (and possibly 3d models, schematics, and other goodies), but for now, here is the plan for how to build a Warcraft II - style Scout tower - In Minecraft!




This plan will look slightly different than these pictures, as these are of the Cannon tower (that works!), which I'll explain later


 Here's the pixel plan. If you've never seen one of these, the way it works is that each pixel represents one minecraft block. Except that in this case, I've scaled it up for better visibility and I've scaled the section up to be able to show half-blocks correctly (the plan should be at 400%, which means that each 4x4 pixel-block is one minecraft block).

It'll be easiest to tell you that the first level (at the top) is 13x13, with the largest flattest section being 5 blocks long and the short sections on either side 2 blocks long. The number in the middle means you repeat that level 5 times. I don't show any superfluous blocks, so you'll need to figure out scaffolding on your own (or use dirt).

For now, you'll need to come up with your own scheme for climbing the inside of the thing, though I recommend a combination of stairs (lower levels) and ladders. During construction I brought a bucket and dumped it whenever I wanted to get up or down, or in case of a fall.

 It looks like you'll need 1,428 (22 stacks, 20 blocks) of stone/cobble/whatever blocks for the main exterior, 279 half blocks for the floors, 37 blocks for the decorative beams (in the 2nd and 3rd to last images of the plan), 24 wool (or other differently colored material) for the decorative cross in the middle of the top floor and the flag, and 6 fences for the flag pole. I cut a 3x3 hole in the center of one side for the door, which would be a gate using craftbook, but unfortunately the server I play on doesn't use craftbook and I've got a door in the middle.



NOTICE: Make sure you're building it right-way up. I've attempted to label the plan and make it obvious which way that is, but pay attention to the building as you build it. If you don't you may end up like this player - and I'd rather you didn't have to tear it down and start again.


I apologize for those of you who may have been confused by my initially  poor draftsmanship; I drew the plan going from ground floor on top to crenelations on bottom, and then put a section plan next to it which was oriented properly. >.<












































And here's a new addition; I've gotten the Sketchup Model uploaded and ready for you to explore! It's complete with torches, ladders, stairs, doors/hatches, and everything. If you open up the model and click on any component, the "entity info" window will tell you how many of each of that component are used- which means clicking on any block will give you a full count of how many of that block are used in the model.

7/10/11 Update! I've added a Schematic for this file!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice, any plans on making plans for more of the buildings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. too bad the plan looks much different than what i wanted to build (the bottom picture) thanks for wasting my time.

    ReplyDelete